Do You Speak American? is a documentary film and complementary book about journalist Robert MacNeil’s survey into how various persons during the United States of America speak. The book and documentary explore at the evolution of America’s style of speaking from the English language to many ways of speaking in areas within the country. Sectors of ethnicity, geography and social status and how they influence how Americans communicate are addressed. As part of the project, MacNeil journeyed through the country showing interviews with conventional people as well as professionals like William Labov. In the United States, the documentary was transmit in numerous parts on Public Broadcasting Service (PBS).
Here are the videos with subtitle :
- Do You Speak American episode 1 part 1
- Do You Speak American episode 1 part 2
- Do You Speak American episode 2 part 1
- Do You Speak American episode 2 part 2
- Do You Speak American episode 3 part 1
- Do You Speak American episode 3 part 2